In the end, I get really bored by wireshark loudly complaining about my default IPv6 nameserver and its inability to use that annoyed me, so finally last week I’ve found some time to fix #384372 directly in libadns.
Wireshark (and all other applications using libadns as their asynchronous resolver) would now be able to query IPv6 capable nameservers and handle AAAA as well as ip6.arpa PTR queries (Niels Möller already worked it).
Here’s below a live-action screenshot from my IPv6 tunneled worstation (and thanks SixXS for it):
P.S. unfortunately the same day I finished this patch, wireshark upstream decided to switch to c-ares library, which seems to suffer of a similar/weirder issue. Previous versions of wireshark (< 1.2.0) will work like a charm with adns (beware of several CVE recently fixed), and newest ones can be safely built with –without-c-ares (falling back to libadns). I’ll probably spend some time on it too, soon…